Article provided by: thousandoaksplumbing.com
Leaking pipes cause havoc to a variety of niches in our lives. An undetected leak will cause insurmountable losses of money, time, and possibly the house to a certain degree. You will save yourself from these conditions if you understand a few basic plumbing and home ownership tips.
What are the dangers of an undetected leak?
- Damage to the house’s foundation – if the water seeps through to the soil, it will eventually reach the foundation of the building. The result will be a wobbly wall that could crumble or crack from external pressure.
- Damage to property – If the water seepage gets through the floor, items that have direct contact with the floor surface will begin absorbing the moisture and degrading.
- Pungent smell – Soaked up items will develop a pungent smell after a considerable time.
- Mold and mildew – Constant wetness will encourage the growth of mold and mildew, which will eventually cause infections in the household.
The best methods of leak detection in Ventura
Thankfully, leak detection is easy when the pipes are in the open or close to the surface. It is, however, difficult to tell if there is leakage when the house’s foundation has a concrete built. The following tips will give you insider knowledge on detecting leakage with alternative observance.
- The sounds of running water - Sounds of running water are natural to diagnose. You can attribute these to possible damage of the pipes when you know it is not the sound of an appliance at home.
- Wet spots - You will notice mysterious puddles or dampness on a section of the floor or ceiling.
- Cracking foundation – This sign would most likely mean that the leak is not recent.
- Unstable water meter – Check the meter and mark the current water usage. Then avoid using any water for the next couple of hours before rechecking the level. Increased calibration indicates leakage.
What can you do after a positive leak detection in Ventura?
- While the best option would be to call a plumber, you may not be in a position due to various individualistic issues.
- The first strategy is to turn off the primary water source until you can fix the root of the leakage.
- Investigate the pipe underneath the foundation if you can access it without hassle.
- Visible leaks with streams of water from a certain point can have a temporary fixture with duct tape. This solution is not conducive for longer than a day because its purpose is to minimize damage before the plumber arrives.
- You should schedule a checkup or repair session with a professional from Thousand Oaks Plumbing. Plumbers have non-invasive detection methods that will not rip open your floor without a solid reason. Tools like the electronic amplification equipment, electromagnetic pipeline, pressure gauges, and cameras will detect leaks beneath the foundation.
The plumber will determine the next course of action to give a feasible solution. These rectifications will be anything from replacing the entire pipe system, or one single feature. Advanced methods will use epoxy technology to fix the issues from inside the pipe, a process known as pipe coating.
Leak Detection Ventura